Friday, July 19, 2013

From the Mouth of Babes


A friend of mine posted this on Facebook a few days ago and I have been thinking about it ever since. Please take the 9 minutes to watch the full video. Believe me, it is worth it.

http://www.dailydot.com/lol/kids-react-cheerios-commercial-race/

The basic gist is this: A recent Cheerios commercial featured a bi-racial family. The commercial became a video on Youtube and a wave of racial slurs and other hateful comments followed. The Fine Bros. (as part of their video series which asks kids and teens their opinions of viral videos and other trends) recorded a group of children to get their reaction to both the commercial and the idea that people would find it offensive. Their comments were amazing!

When asked  "Is it OK for people to be mad about a mixed family?" they responded "What is this country for.....equality? OK so why do you do that?..... It their path so it really doesn't matter."  

When asked "Would you ever think not to marry someone because of the color of their skin?" they responded  "I think that is offensive......It really does depend on their heart and if they really love me...... Underneath it, literally, you are the same people. You have organs and a heart....."

When asked for advice to people of biracial families they responded  "Guys, do not care what they say. You are you. Stand proud for yourself. Be happy for your family. Tell them 'I don't care what you say. I am the way I am'...........I am really sorry that you guys have to deal with this because it is really hard .....Just know that there are people who are out there trying to stop the hate."

Our world's children are our teachers. This will be a theme for my posts, I am sure! For today, I know that love is here when we pay attention and listen to their words.


No comments:

Post a Comment